August 13, 2008

School has started


This week I started back at school. School this year is going to be interesting. We have about 1975 students enrolled. Lots of things have changed: we hired 18 new teachers (enough to staff an elementary school), got 2 new administrator, and I became the department head. Because we have so many students and about 8 or so traveling teachers, I have to give up my room during my prep. It won't be too bad because I did that my first year teaching. Only this time, I don't think I will be able to stay in sometimes.

Tomorrow I will get my rolls (list of who my students are). I will know the damage--how many kids per class. For some reason I am feeling really anxious this year. I am starting my third year, so I shouldn't be anxious. Maybe it is because of so many changes this year. I wasn't like this my first year, so I don't know why I am this year. Or maybe it is because I have a a leadership role. I like being a leader in a non-leadership role. There isn't as much pressure and people don't rely on you like they do with someone in the leadership role.

I think this year could be good or really bad. I want to challenge my students more and stretch them more. I will have updates on how its going.

1 comment: