April 04, 2008

Blood Wedding


Last night Mark and I went to see the play Blood Wedding put on by the theater department at the University of Utah. This was a very interesting play. It is about two Spanish families who are feuding. The Groom wants to marry a young girl (the Bride), however the Bride's ex-boyfriend's family killed the Groom's father and older brother. To make matters even more interesting, the Bride is not quite over her ex-boyfriend (who by the way married the Bride's cousin and has a son).


The part I really liked about this play was the Flamenco dancing and the addition of some lines in Spanish. This play was originally written in Spanish in 1932. I learned a lot about the Spanish culture: how the man is in charge, and wedding customs of the times. I noticed that the Groom seemed oblivious to what was going on with his Bride. He finally caught on to what was happening after she runs away after her wedding with her ex-boyfriend. My favorite scene was when the actors pretended to be trees. It was an interesting decision. As the people in the play would walk through the woods, the "trees" would change their pose to show a different part of the woods.
The play seemed a little long. When there was about 30 minutes left, I found myself looking at my watch wondering when it was going to end. I have not read the play, but I thought it was an interesting piece of literature. I would not want to see it again, but overall I liked the play. If you have the chance to see this, take the opportunity to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment