November 20, 2007

Movie Review: Beowulf


MPAA rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence including disturbing images, some sexual material and nudity)
Rating: Watchable, but not recommendable

Mark and I went to see Beowulf in the IMAX 3D theater at Jordan Commons. The 3D effects were amazing. I felt as if I was part of the action somewhat. About half way through the movie, it started to feel like a regular movie and the 3D glasses started to hurt my head. There was a lot of depth to the graphics. It was as if I could reach out and touch the trees. It has the same feel as Robert Zemeckis' Polar Express. The characters look so real.

Beowulf is a classic epic poem that most of us read in high school (unfortunately I one of the few who did not read this). The directors, producers, and screenwriters do a good job converting the story of Beowulf from print to film. It starts out with a Danish kingdom led by King Hrothgar (Anthony Hopkins), in the year 700 A.D., inaugurating a new mead hall. The town’s folk become so riotous and noisy and Grendel (Crispin Glover) the creature that lives in the mountain attacks the mead hall. He kills a vast majority of the people in the new mead hall. The king won't stand for these attacks anymore and calls for someone to kill the creature. He offers the man who can do this half of the gold in his kingdom. Beowulf (Ray Winstone) answers his call. Beowulf is the classic medieval monster slayer. Once he arrives, King Hrothgar offers him his comely queen, Wealthow (Robin Wright Penn) as a reward. Beowulf immediately strips down naked. Beowulf's reason for this is Grendel fights with no armor or sword and neither should he. Beowulf wins and now he is told he must kill the mother (Angelina Jolie). As a result of his greed, Beowulf becomes seduced by her. The mother uses her nude body to aid in the seduction.

This is the reason why I rate it watchable, but not recommendable. The amount of "animated" nudity is too much for me. When Beowulf rips his clothes off, as Roger Ebert says, "This leads to a great deal of well-timed Austinpowerism, which translates (Wikipedia does not explain) as 'putting things in the foreground to keep us from seeing the family jewels.'"

Roger Ebert poses a great question, "How can a movie be rated PG-13 when it has female nudity?" I had to ask myself if this movie was PG-13 or R because of the amount of nudity and precise placement of props and characters arms and heads. It made me feel very uncomfortable. This movie received its rating because there were not certain four letter words and Angelina Jolie was not really in the movie. What is the difference between a real person naked and an animated character naked? None. They show the same parts; just the details are left out. I for sure would not want my 13 year old child watching this movie.

Source: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071114/REVIEWS/71115001

No comments:

Post a Comment