Grandma Mary died August 8,1991 when I was just about to turn 7 (just a few days after my little brother was born). I remember so many things about her.
She used to live up on the Provo bench. I would go up there with my Nana Verbeck in her red pickup truck. I called it the "Put-Put" truck because it would make the put-put sound and would put up the hill. It always seemed like she would have Tab in the fridge and EL Fudge Shoppe Fudge Stripe cookies in the cookie jar. I think still to this day that is why those are my favorite cookies. It just brings back so many memories. I remember there was this room off the kitchen. It had so many cool little knick-knacks in it. I remember looking in her closet at all her shoes and clothes, and seeing purple bath beads sitting on the ledge of her tub wondering what they were.
Grandma Mary was born in Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico. It was a Mormon Colony down in Mexico, and is one of the few remaining colonies. I heard an interesting story about when she lived down in Mexico. One day while she was out playing in the yard, a man rides up on his horse--Pancho Villa. Yes, the Pancho Villa (Which by the way isn't his real name. He took on this name (after his dad's grandfather) when he became an outlaw).
He tells the nanny that he wants to take the little girl playing in the yard because she has blonde hair and blue eyes. The nanny hurries and makes up a story--Small Pox. She tells him that she has small pox. Back during this time, small pox was deadly, so Pancho Villa rides away. (He was in Chihuahua because he had deserted the Mexican Federal Army where he spent the rest of his life.)
No comments:
Post a Comment