May 12, 2008

Job Promotion: English Department Head



This last week I got a promotion at work for next year. Our department chair is pregnant, so she will be quiting. They asked me to be the new department chair. I was really shocked. It will only be my third year teaching.


I am really nervous. I have no clue what I am doing. I have lots of ideas. I want to get each member of the department a binder with the core, our SMART goal (goal set by the department for the school year), a place to keep their outline of what they will be teaching and when, and a place to take notes.


A couple of things that I want to accomplish will be:

1. To have common test within each grade. Right now it isn't neccessarily that way. The 9th grade does this completely, the 8th grade is semi this way, and I think the 7th grade has a couple common tests.

2. More teacher involvement. I want the teachers in each grade to participate equally in writing the assessments. Right now it seems like a couple of teachers are the only ones to be writing the tests. I am one of those teachers for the 8th grade.

3. I want to have more professional development. I want us to read more articles relating to the needs of our department. For example, one teacher wants to do more authentic assessments and not only use multiple choice tests. I have lots of books. I also want the teachers to implement the new tips and techniques we learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment