March 17, 2008

Movie Review: Bee Movie

MPAA Rating: PG for mild suggestive humor.
Rating: This is a recommendable Red Box/Rental movie.

I love animated movies. That is my weakness. I was thuroughly suprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. There are many funny moments throughout this film.

Barry B. Benson is a graduate bee fresh out of college who is disillusioned at his lone career choice: making honey. On a rare trip outside the hive, Barry's life is saved by Vanessa, a florist in New York City. As their relationship blossoms, he discovers humans are mass consumers of honey and decides to sue the human race for stealing bees' honey. (Source: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809419836/details)


The thing I don't understand is why the critics did not like the movie. Maybe they are not Jerry Seinfeld fans or maybe they left their imagination at the door of the theater. The critic that I agree with is Owen Gleiberman from Entertainment Weekly. He said, "...the film is nutty, ecological, antically funny, and moving, all at the same time." Alex Markerson from E! Online says, "...the story can't find the sweet spot...." The story may have been simple and noncomplex, but I think the graphics and humor made up for that. It left you to think and imagine. It was a perfect kids story. I think the critics thought the story was too childish for their "sophisiticated" minds. I have learned not to trust the critics. If I think a movie looks good I see it. Sometimes I look to see what other viewers (not critics) have said about the movie. I usually find that I agree with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment